Public Notice: HCV Admin Plan Changes
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Portland Housing Authority
Notice of Proposed Change to the:
Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan (HCV Admin Plan)
The Portland Housing Authority (PHA) is announcing a public comment period for a proposed change to the PHA Administrative Plan. The purpose of the change is to align PHA Policies to better meet local housing needs and agency priorities.
PHA will receive written comments regarding the proposed changes during a 45-day public comment period to commence January 9, 2024, through February 23, 2024. All written comments are to be mailed or hand delivered to the following address:
Portland Housing Authority
ATTN: Clyde Barr, Director of Voucher Programs
970 Baxter Blvd.
Portland, ME 04101
Or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Portland Housing Authority will hold a Public Hearing via teleconference on February 7, 2024, at 5:00PM. Members of the public are encouraged to attend the Public Hearing and provide public comments:
Meeting ID: 396784462
United States Dial-In: (732) 200-1872
Click to dial: (732) 200-1872,,396784462#
The PHA Board of Commissioners will vote on the adoption of this policy on Thursday March 7,2024, at 5:00PM.
The proposed change to the HCV Admin Plan is as follows:
4-III.C. Selection Method: Local Preferences [24 CFR 982.207; HCV 9 4-16]
Current Portland Housing Authority Policy:
The PHA will use the following local preferences, as well as date and time of the application, establish placement position on a waiting list. Families who have also applied for Project Based Vouchers will be selected according to Chapter 17.
The following preference groups are prioritized and offered vouchers based on qualification for funding, availability of vouchers, and the administrative need to for PHA to utilize available vouchers. All households must be on the Centralized Waitlist prior to receiving a voucher other than those indicated in 1, 2, 3 & 6.
- The PHA will offer a preference to any participating family that has been terminated from its HCV program due to insufficient program funding.
- PHA, under the direction of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, may give preference for tenant-based assistance to persons displaced by natural or national disaster as designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) until such time that funding designated for this preference has been committed.
- The PHA may offer a preference to families who include victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking who are seeking an emergency transfer under VAWA from PHA’s public housing program or other covered housing program operated by PHA. The applicant must certify that the abuser will not reside with the applicant unless PHA gives prior written approval.
- The PHA may offer a preference to FYI-TPV or FYI recipients who have successfully completed 36 months with the FYI-TPV or FYI Program and can demonstrate an ongoing need for assistance. (see Chapter 19 for details)
- The PHA may offer a preference to current Bridging Rental Assistance Program recipients.
- The PHA may offer a preference to VASH recipients who no longer qualify or choose to receive VASH services if HCV’s are currently available. (see Chapter 19 for details)
- The PHA may offer a preference to First-Place recipients. (see Chapter 19 for details)
- The PHA must offer a preference for 40 one-time Vouchers for applicants that that meet the criteria for Homelessness (per FY17 Mainstream NOFA). This obligation has been met by the PHA and are no longer being issued.
For all other applicants Vouchers will be offered based on date and time of application.
Proposed Changes to Portland Housing Authority Policy:
9. Families who have a Rent Burden of more than 50% income.
The full HCV Administrative Plan is available at: https://www.porthouse.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/84